Survival Quiz #96
(ModernSurvival.org) – Which of These Foods Can Lead to Joint Pain?
Answer: Sugar. Here’s why…
There is an undeniable link between the foods people consume and their overall state of health. Unfortunately, some foods really aren’t good for the human body and can lead to a bevy of issues, including joint pain.
Modern Diets Are Full of This
The modern American consumes roughly 150 pounds of sugar each year, whereas a century ago, it was only four pounds of sugar per year. This drastic increase in sugar consumption comes at a cost, as it is linked to many health issues ranging from obesity and diabetes to painful inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
To avoid these health issues, the best course of action is to limit the amount of sugar consumed in the daily diet. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done, as sugar hides in many places that one may not consider. Here are a few of sugar’s favorite hiding places:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) – Used in many food products, HFCS is a man-made sugar substitute with very little to no nutritional value.
- Beverages – Many store-bought beverages have an unbelievable amount of sugar, not only soda. Fruit juice, smoothies, and even coffee are loaded with sugar.
- Processed Food – Sugar isn’t only hiding in obvious foods, such as snack cakes and cookies. It’s packed into many other products as well, such as potato chips, popcorn, and even crackers.
Why Sugar Causes Joint Pain
According to healthline.com, a diet high in sugar content can cause multiple issues that increase inflammation:
- Increased production of advanced glycation end products (AGEs)
- Intestinal permeability
- Increased LDL cholesterol (the bad kind)
For anyone who already suffers joint pain, a diet high in sugar is going to make matters worse. Cutting back on sugar consumption is one way to ease the suffering, but it may be difficult, considering just how much sugar has infiltrated modern foods and beverages.
Sugar isn’t always a bad thing. In fact, in one specific survival situation, it can help save a person’s life. To see how check out our article here.
~Here’s to Your Survival!
Copyright 2022, ModernSurvival.org