Survival Quiz #136
(Modern Survival.org) – In a survival situation, a bandana can be used for which of the following?
- Fire Starter
- Water filter
- All of the above
Answer: All of the Above. Here’s why…
One of the most versatile items that many preppers keep on them at all times is a bandana. Preppers often praise the value of redundancy, which means stockpiling items that serve multiple purposes. A bandana is an excellent example.
Bandanas have been popular additions to survival packs for many years and are even a standard issue in the Boy Scouts of America. To explain the many survival uses of a bandana, SensiblePrepper has provided the following video:
Traditionally, a bandana is worn as a hat or around the neck to prevent sunburns. It can also be worn as a makeshift mask to conceal the identity of the wearer or to filter out smoke and dust. But these uses are the tip of the iceberg.
Here are some other survival uses for a bandana:
- An improvised pouch to carry items or foraged food.
- A signaling device to flag down help.
- Cut into pieces, bandanas make a great fire starter.
- In a pinch, a bandana works as a washcloth.
- Brightly-colored bandanas serve as trail markers when tied to branches.
- Bandanas can clean other survival gear, ensuring optimal performance.
- If no other options are available, a bandana will work as toilet paper.
- Bandanas will work as temporary bandages for multiple wounds, a makeshift tourniquet or to tie down a splint for a broken bone.
- They can be used to filter large particles from water prior to boiling for disinfection.
- Wrapping a medium-sized rock in a bandana creates a formidable weapon.
The uses for a bandana in a survival situation are limited only by imagination and ingenuity. The fact that bandanas are small, lightweight, and versatile makes them perfect additions to any survival pack, or even everyday carry (EDC) loadout.
Redundancy reduces the number of supplies that need to be stockpiled, making space for other items. If an item fails that can be replaced by a multi-use product, it can be quickly and efficiently swapped.
To see other items that should be a part of your EDC, take a look at our article on everyday preparedness here.
~Here’s to Your Survival!
Copyright 2022, ModernSurvival.org