College Student Receives Multiple Amputations After Eating Rancid Food


( – One of the basic necessities for survival, alongside water, air, and shelter, is food. Without it, death by starvation can occur within the span of three weeks. That said, not taking the proper precautions when handling food is a recipe for disaster as a young man in New England brutally found out.

A YouTube video shining light on the disturbing case is going viral, showing what happened to the unfortunate student after he consumed leftover chicken, rice, and noodles.

The case, originally published in The New England Journal of Medicine, describes the horrific effects suffered by the victim after eating rancid food. What began as nausea and vomiting evolved into the failure of multiple organs and necrosis in both his arms and legs. Due to the gangrene, doctors had no choice but to amputate both legs below the knee as well as parts of all ten fingers.

Upon admission to a hospital, the student, identified as ‘JC’ in the video, was diagnosed with Neisseria meningitidis, a form of bacteria that leads to Meningococcal disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

While the video has likely gone viral based on the shock factor of its contents, the situation itself serves as a crucial reminder that one cannot be too careful when handling their food. Never eat food that may be rancid, and be sure to refrigerate leftovers in a timely manner.

For more information on how food could become deadly in the aftermath of a disaster scenario, take a look at our article here.

~Here’s to Your Survival!

Copyright 2022,