Signs You Have Toxic Black Mold in Your Home

3 Signs You Have Toxic Black Mold in Your Home
3 Signs You Have Toxic Black Mold in Your Home

What are signs you have toxic black mold in your home?

• Constant musty smell
• Dark water spots
• Respiratory problems
• All of the Above

Answer: All of the Above

Dark water spots, musty smells, and family members with respiratory problems are all signs you may have black toxic mold in your home. Black mold is toxic and can start spreading throughout your home in just one cold damp day. Anyone with a developing, weak or compromised immune system could be subject to serious side effects.

It’s highly recommended you find mold removal experts in your local area but if you want to DIY (Do It Yourself), it’s important you take all necessary mold removal steps and safety precautions.

TEST

Be sure you have protective gear like a respirator or a face mask rated for black mold spore protection. Be sure to cover your arms, legs and hands with latex gloves and cover your whole body to avoid contact with mold spores.

Before you start cleaning, you’ll need to know what disinfectants work best to kill and prevent mold growth. Here’s a list and description of disinfectants with anti-fungal properties:

• Grapefruit Seed Extract:
Combine 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract with 2 cups water in a spray bottle. Spray on the affected area and let dry.

• Tea Tree Oil:
Combine 1 teaspoon with 1 cup water in a spray bottle, spray on the affected area, and let dry.

TEST

• White Vinegar:
Pour undiluted white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray directly on the area and let dry.

• Hydrogen Peroxide:
Spray a 3 percent concentration on the area. Leave for 15 minutes, then rinse.

• Bleach:
Mix one cup of bleach per gallon of water and apply to black mold surface using a spray bottle, bucket and sponge, or cloth. Although it works, many professionals don’t recommend using because it can burn or irritate the skin, eyes, and mouth and can potentially cause breathing problems.

Mold Cleaning Steps

  1. Be sure to close all doors since mold can travel to other areas of your home. Using duct tape, cover all vents or door cracks. Using a small fan, direct the mold spores out of an open window.
  2. TEST
  3. Using soap, water and a scrub brush or cloth, scrub the black mold spots until they’re gone.
  4. DO NOT scrub it dry or spores will be released into the air. After you’re done, be sure to place the scrub brush or cloth in a plastic bag, close it up and throw it away.
  5. Apply whatever anti-fungal disinfectant you use to the moldy spots. Be sure to keep the area ventilated and dry.
  6. If you or your family are having symptoms described above, look around and check for signs as toxic black mold may be inhabiting your home.

~To Your Survival!

Copyright 2019, ModernSurvival.org